Do You have A Emergency Plan for Your Child?


Hey it's your Girl JA Nursing here,  with  Winter   under way It's that time again, our kids  are getting sick with  ear infections tonsil,  adenoids,asthma  and allergies . If you are not sure  here is  some  information On Symptoms of  Enlarged Adenoids, Asthma, and allergies. 

Adenoids trap germs that enter the body, adenoid tissue can temporarily swell as it tries to fight off an infection. 
These symptoms are often associated with enlarged adenoids: 

*difficulty breathing through the nose
*breathing through the mouth
talking as if the nostrils are pinched
*noisy breathing
*stopped breathing for a few seconds during sleep (sleep apnea)
*frequent "sinus" symptoms

Most frustration  felt with Parents  is ongoing ear and middle ear infections or middle ear fluid in school-aged children.  If your child has symptoms go to your family doctor and ask to be referred to a ENT Specialist also known as ear noise and throat Specialist.

What Is an ENT Specialist?

An ear, nose and throat specialist (ENT) is a physician trained in the medical and surgical treatment of the ears, nose throat, and related structures of the head and neck. They have special expertise in managing diseases of the ears, nose and nasal passage sinuses, larynx (voice box), oral cavity and upper pharynx (mouth and throat), as well as structures of the neck and face.

Next on the list  Tonsillectomies
Doctors might recommend surgical removal of the tonsils, this is called a tonsillectomy, for a child who has one or more of the following:

persistent or recurrent tonsillitis or strep infections
swollen tonsils that make it hard to breathe, particularly during sleep
difficulty eating meat or chewy foods
sleep difficulty that might be affecting the child's daily activities
snoring and obstructive sleep apnea (when someone stops breathing for a few seconds at a time during sleep because 

enlarged tonsils are partially blocking the airway)  I had mine taken out when I was 8 years old. It is a very common procedure for kids now a day so don't guess a  ENT  Specialist will be the person for you to ask your Pediatrician to  get a consult with.

 With allergy season in session you can also be seen by a ENT specialist. This service is covered by OHIP just ask you Doctor.

Allergy relief tips for Parents

Allergies can be frustrating for both kids and parents. Here are some allergy relief tips to help your family keep symptoms in check.

Start with teachers

Discuss your child's condition with the school nurse, teachers, coaches, and anyone else with whom your child has regular contact.


Toys, knick-knacks and other types of clutter can be traps for dust and other allergens.
 We could not finish this  article without mentioning our other pesty friend Mr asthma, since Asthma  symptoms can worsen if you have issues  remember that a Respirologists is the Doctor that you need to see.
Asthma & Allergies
Many people with asthma also have allergies, and your doctor may refer you to an allergist if you are experiencing asthma symptoms. However, just not everyone who has allergies develops asthma, not everyone who has asthma has allergies. Researchers are still trying to determine the exact relationship between the two.
No one is born with an allergy, but you can have a genetic tendency to develop one. If both your parents have allergies, you will have a 75% chance of also developing them.
Doctors define asthma as a "chronic inflammatory disease of the airway" that causes the following symptoms:
  • Chronic (regular) cough.
  • Shortness of breath
  • Wheezing
  • A feeling of tightness in the chest
Symptoms of asthma come and go; you may experience some of them and yet not know for certain whether you've got asthma or not. For example, you might experience trouble breathing with exercise or get more 'chest' infections than other people do. Persistent cough is a common sign of lung disease. Coughing is a major feature of asthma, especially in children. If your infant or child coughs to the point of vomiting, discuss the possibility of asthma with your doctor. There are reasons other than asthma for a long-term cough, like whooping cough and postnasal drip.
Only a doctor can diagnose asthma.

Know the Early Signs of a Flare-Up

Everyone's asthma is different. Some kids cough only at night, while others have flare-ups whenever they get a cold or exercise outside.
As you manage your child's asthma, pay attention to what happens before a flare-up so that you know the early warning signs. These signs might not mean that a flare-up definitely will happen, but they can help you to plan ahead.

Making ER Trips Less Stressful

Planning can make trips to the ER less stressful for you and your child. Here are some tips to try:

  • Know the location of your closest ER. If there's a children's hospital ER nearby, go there and have the address and phone number handy (written on the asthma action plan, for instance).
  • If you have other kids, try to make arrangements with a relative or other caregiver who can take them in an emergency. But don't let the lack of a babysitter delay your trip to the ER. Someone can always come to the hospital later to pick up your other kids.
  • Take a copy of your child's asthma action plan or a note with the names and dosages of any medicines your child takes to share with the medical staff at the ER  
Your are the most important member of your child's health care team make sure your knowledgeable. If you have  comments or questions about your health you can email

For further help let us  help you navigate the health care system. Send a email to to get your Health Care Shield  today

Ask the expert now in session Your family Health matters

Here A list of Walk in clinics 

Popular posts from this blog

Waist Trainers What You Should know Knowledge Is Power

The African Entertainment Awards 2015 NOMINATIONS NOW IN CAST YOUR VOTE

Have You Heard That Eating Kale Is Bad For You? Find Out More

Bye Felicia ! A Guide to Removing Emotional Vampires out of Your life

Are You Asking The Right Health Care Questions?

Are You thinking of seeing a Naturopath or a Homeopath?